The ancient "Interamna Nahartium", which means "land between two rivers", the Nera and the Serra rivers, was the birthplace of the emperor Marcus Claudius Tacitus and of the author Cornelius Tacitus, among other important personages of the past.
In the second half of the 19th century, Terni took part in the industrial revolution, and was awarded the appellative of "Manchester of Italy". Its present-day appearance, due for the most part to the heavy bombardments to which it was subjected during World War II, is mostly modern and dynamic.
This notwithstanding, the city conserves a part of its old town center and some impressive monuments. Among these, we would like to point out in particular the Church of St. Francis, (12thcentury) with its very beautiful Paradisi Chapel decorated with frescoes dating back to the 14thcentury; the ancient small church of St. Alò, which is a small romanic jewel; the Church of St. Salvatore, probably built upon a pre-existing Temple of the Sun dating back to Roman times; the Church of St. Peter, with its interesting structure of the apsis and the cloister; and finally the Cathedral, built in the 17th century.
The ruins of the Roman Amphitheater, the old town walls and the medieval quarters, with their remains of ancient towers and beautiful palaces, are also noteworthy. Among these, Palazzo Spada, attributed to Sangallo, is particularly interesting. But, above all, Terni is interesting because of its modern architecture: is owes Piazza Tacito with its distinctive Fountain, theCorso del Popolo and Largo Villa Glori to the architect Ridolfi, one of this century's greatest architects. The Obelisque "Lancia di Luce", however, is owed to the artist Arnaldo Pomodoro.
Furthermore, the Basilica of St.Valentine, which guards the Saint's remains, is to be found at Terni. The Saint, who was Bishop of Terni, was martyred in the 3rd century and has become the Patron Saint of lovers all over the world. At 6 km distance from Terni the impressive Marmore Waterfalls, which, with falls totalling 165 meters in height, are the highest waterfalls of Europe, are to be found. Also you should not miss the ruins of Carsulae, an ancient Roman city, the charming medieval village of Cesi, and Lake Piediluco with its evocative village of the same name.
Among the most important manifestations taking place in the city we should absolutely mention the festival Cantamaggio.
Taking the State Road "Valnerina" from Terni, you'll reach the very famous Marmore Waterfalls after only 7 km. This is definitely an absolute must for whoever decides to visit Umbria. The Waterfalls, which are immersed in a natural scenery of incomparable beauty, are an artificial work due to the Romans. In fact, at that time, the Velino river was greatly enlarged and had created a vast zone of stagnant waters, swampy and unhealthy. Aiming to make these waters deflow, the consul Curius Dentatus had a canal dug which directed them in direction of the Marmore cliff.
From there, he had them precipitate, in a total fall of 165 meters, into the river-bed of the Nera river which runs along below. In every age, the beauty of the Waterfalls has inspired poets and artists, among these: Virgilius, Cicero, G. Byron, and many others. For about 50 years now the waters of the Waterfall are used to fuel the hydroelectric power plant Galleto. Therefore, the spectacle of the Waterfalls can only be admired during the opening hours which are quoted in the table below. It was in fact due to the abbundance of these waters and the energy they generate that it was possible to establish the metal-working, electrochemical and electric industries at Terni.
We offer our guests SPECIAL DISCOUNTS FOR ENTRANCE TO THEthe MARMORE FALLS PARK
Lake of Piediluco:
Piediluco is a picturesque town whose name means "at the foot of the sacred grove." With its low colored cottages, is actually deployed in the narrow strip of land that runs between the lake and the mountain. The lake takes its name from the village and it’s so irregular as to seem an alpine lake. Very impressive, is surrounded by wooded hills, between which is characterized by its large cone-shaped Echo Mountain. This mountain owes its name to the fact that it is able to throw back a perfect echo. Behind the village is dominated by the Castle of the eleventh century, very superb and impressive. Its strategic location made it often the subject of disputes between the lords of the nearby centers. The lake, home to rowing events of global nature, is a popular tourist center, and offers the possibility of practicing various water sports. Each year, the festival takes place on the lake water, of ancient origin, during which you can see a night parade of boats decorated and lit fireworks. For several years now, will play the Master of Music piano and violin, which is followed by concerts held by participants and teachers in the Church of San Francesco. During the summer you can watch theatrical performances and concerts of jazz music outdoors with free admission.
Ferentillo is located in the most beautiful part of the Valnerina, where the Nera river descends through the 'Valle Suppegna' gorge. In 740, the king of the Lombards, Liutprand, colonised these territories, founding the new town, which was called Ferentillo (from the Latin 'Ferentum illi' or 'those of Ferento'). The town is crossed by the river Nera, which divides it into two nuclei: Precetto and Matterella, characterised by noble palaces, artistic churches and fan-shaped alleys. The imposing presence of the two fortresses that have dominated the village since 1100, and that of Umbriano served as a bulwark for the defence of the nearby Abbey of San Pietro in Valle. The vicissitudes of Ferentillo always followed those of the Abbey, and the abbey feud attempted to make itself independent from both the Duchy of Spoleto and the Lateran Chapter. The territory became a small state in 1484 thanks to Pope Innocent VIII Cybo, who appointed his natural (legitimised) son Franceschetto Cybo as first Lord. He married Maddalena de' Medici and in 1515 his son, Lorenzo Cybo, took Ricciarda Malaspina as his wife, thus uniting Ferentillo to the marquisate, later principality and duchy, of Massa and Carrara.
Thanks to the patronage of this illustrious family, Ferentillo gained importance not only culturally but also socio-politically. In fact, in 1563 Prince Alberico Cybo Malaspina signed the Statutes guaranteeing the territory's independence from all interference, both ecclesiastical and from Spoleto. It was a free and sovereign principality, with its own laws and its own Statute, 'Status Ferentilli Serenissimi Ducis Massae Cybo', which lasted until 1730 when Alderano Cybo sold it to Nicolò Benedetti of Spoleto, from whom it passed as an inheritance to the Montevecchio family of Fano. Returned to the Apostolic Chamber, in 1847 Pope Pius IX gave it to the Prince of Montholon, conferring on him the title of 'Prince of Umbriano and Precetto'. Ferentillo became a municipality in 1860 with the Unification of Italy.
Ferentillo Mummies Museum:
The Museum of Mummies is a museum located in Ferentillo that exhibits ancient mummies of the inhabitants of the village.The museum was created at the end of the 19th century, when excavations carried out in the crypt of the old church of the village brought to light numerous mummified bodies, some of them with well-preserved clothing. Today, however, damp air coming in through the windows has compromised the state of preservation of both the clothing and the mummies themselves.